Sunday, March 10, 2019

Required: Fight for $15

The campaign fighting for fast foods to raise the minimum wage to $15 dollars leaves me dumbfounded. At first, I couldn't pick a side. Working in a fast food restaurant can take a lot of toll on your physical and mental health, and not only that they provide little to no benefits. I worked in a factory during the time of this campaign and my hourly wage was only $10.75 an hour. My friend who was working in a fast food restaurant was paid $11.50 an hour. With the little money that they earned working excessively, it wouldn't have covered for their insurance and monthly rent. I think that if fast food restaurants provided good benefits for their employees, then the employees wouldn't have started the campaign. I know some people who had ridiculed this campaign because they further their education to get a better paying job, but was paid under $15 an hour. They told me that their hourly pay started around $12 or $13 and wouldn't get a raise unless they earned it. When listening to my friend, it did make a lot of sense. If I can make that much an hour why would I waste money for an education to make less than a fast food worker?     

No comments:

Post a Comment