Sunday, March 10, 2019

JBC: Fast Food/Work and Economy


People only think about the convenience of fast food and not much on what is behind the counter. There had been occasions where workers had voiced out their frustrations about the poor working conditions. Protestors protested for a higher wage because they felt like their pay wasn't enough for what they are going through when working in this field. I believe that many of those who work in a fast food restaurant; is working in excessive labor. Excessive labor is when someone is getting paid less than what they should earn, or when they are working more than they should have to. 

During my senior year in high school, I worked in a fast food restaurant called Arby's. I was a part-timer working 6 hours a day, but as time went on my work schedule became packed. I worked 6 days a week nearly every week. Every Sunday, I would work double shift with no lunch break. The only way I would be able to eat was to get a sandwich, and eat it at the back where no customer can see me. I was surprised when I got my check because my hourly pay was $7.50 an hour. My check that came in every other Wednesday ranged from $645 to $740. I made almost the same amount as our full-time employees. After I graduated high school, I decided to leave my job because I couldn't handle the working condition there anymore.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment