Sunday, March 10, 2019

Henslin: Over the Counter at Mcdonald's

Working at fast foods we were trained to know what do and how to act properly wherever we were stationed at. Fast foods provide little benefits or none at all. When we were closing the store (Arby's) I had to wash all the dishes and equipment while the others had to clean their section of the store. I remember hearing an employee yelled exceptionally loud because he had sliced a small piece of meat off his index finger from the slicer that was used to slice roast beef. He didn't let the store manager know for he didn't have any benefits from Arby's; moreover, he was afraid that he was going to get fired. When the manager and our boss found out about the situation they let it slide. He was alienated from work itself, I believe the reason he wasn't fire was that he was always working and whenever he was called in on his days off he would almost always come into work. The town we lived in was also very small which means that there weren't many applicants so they need him to fill in those empty schedules. 

I can easily relate this chapter to my Fast Food/Work and Economy blog. "... These groups are willing to accept jobs that provide less than subsistence wages" stated by Leidner, on why Mcdonald's higher more teens than any other age range. I was always overworking on a pay rate of $7.50 and I didn't once complain to my manager about my work hours. When we moved to Iowa I thought it was only right for me to work just as hard as my mother. I was naive and easily went along with whatever schedule was given to me. I only wish I had known better.            

No comments:

Post a Comment