Wednesday, April 24, 2019

JBC: Sports/Race


Race is a group of people who share biological characteristics that are deemed socially significant. It was said in this chapter that "...racism includes not only interpersonal racial bias and discrimination, but also the vast racial inequalities embedded in the organization of society, including racial disparities in housing, education, health, and incarceration" (157). Meaning that minorities, those who are not white, have the short end of the stick when it comes to privilege in America. This is why many minorities turned to assimilation. They chose to blend end and some even forget about their culture. However, there are those who still hold on to their culture and traditions. When my parents came to the United States through refugee camps they have their name written differently because it was hard for the Englishmen to pronounce. My Mother's name was Xwb Yaj and my father was Tsheej Vaj, but their name was changed to Sue Yang (mother) and Cheng Vang (father). Although someone's name was changed so Americans are able to pronounce them, within our culture we still call them with the proper pronunciation. I'm happy that there is more pluralism in the United States now, I'm not afraid to tell others that my family is Shamanism because I know that people are more amused about my culture than to discriminate me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment