Thursday, April 18, 2019

Henslin: Morris and Grimes, Moving up


Dinner Table
Related image

Some people may experience culture shock when they finally move up from their previous social status; like realizing that you're supposed to use different forks when eating a fish and a salad. My culture shock is the dinner tables. I didn't start eating at the dinner table until I graduated high school. I always grew up eating on the floor or on a small bamboo crossed table with tiny straw wooden chairs. To me that was always the norm, I never thought of it as a class thing. As I got older I realized that in televisions and movies families are always eating at the dinner tables together. We did have a dinner table but there wasn't any chair that was meant to be there. The table was used as a space for our rice cooker, our big 5 gallons of water, and it was also used for cooking. Although we would eat on the floor my mother would never let us eat while on our knees. She would always say that eating in that position would make us poor and that we would become slaves. It was only a superstition, but it shows me just how fearful she is about our future, and how she didn't want us to experience the hardship she had experienced. I grew up eating on the floor, but now we're all eating at the dinner table.       

No comments:

Post a Comment