Saturday, February 2, 2019

Introducing Sociology: Food/Culture

Image result for american foodRelated image

Food differs around the world. Why is that? People in different culture, region has different food staples. Cultural ceremonies are circled around varieties of food, especially during new years. However, ethnocentrism still exists. Although we try to believe that everyone has become more accepting of other's culture, we still judge many of them for the food they consume. We judge them so harshly that sometimes we don't even realize that many of them eat way healthier than we do. We judge them for eating grasshoppers, scorpion, spiders, larva when in reality they have a good percentage of proteins. I was so skeptical on trying frog soup made by my own mother because I have never thought about eating frogs before. My mother who lived in Thailand before becoming a U.S citizen was content on making me try it. So without me knowing she made frog soup on a different day. Not knowing what it was I ate it, surprisingly the meat was white and it tasted just like quails. Don't judge a book by its cover, perfectly labeled for ethnocentric people.

(Frog Soup)
Image result for frog soup  

No comments:

Post a Comment